Friday, April 11, 2014

I'm late, I'm late!

Hello everybody, apologies that I am so late getting started, but rather than offering excuses and I have many I'll just get on with it and explain and show what I've done.......at last.
I'm starting  with "the place" alphabet, I had to think about this for a while as some of my previous alphabets were about place and I did not want to repeat, but  my work in general is largely influenced by place. That "Place" is Ireland, and the landscape of the west of Ireland in particular, it is very beautiful, distinctive, rugged and wild and often wet, misty and grey, Its home to me and my people, we arrived with the Normans and once settled we are still here 1000 years later, some might think that unadventurous, I see it as content in our own place.
I have used collage once again, it is my favorite medium,  I've used fragments of photographs, some paint and ink as well as a torn letter, I used the letter as I liked the handwriting and it captures the idea that stories and memories also make a place. To bring the different collage elements together and to give a misty, vague feeling I covered most of the letters with tracing paper, which I now see makes the images look out of focus.    
 I may need to make this the "s" as there are allot of sheep coming out of that house.

 This one does not have the tracing paper over it so much clearer looking image!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like how you've completed the picture in C. All very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way the tracing paper gives a nostalgic air to the collage.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all Eithna - and the tracing paper works fine for me! I really get a sense of place, your place, from these; just gorgeous (and so glad you're back!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - we appreciate hearing from you!