Sunday, June 1, 2014

Visions of colors & patterns (dancing in my head)

I / P / J



 

I have had a great time working on my first alphabet for ALaW 2014, which consists of little boxes made of various shades of Canson Mi-Teintes & a "sleeve" that slips over it. The twenty-six sleeves, each with a design based on one of the letters of the alphabet, are now all designed & printed, though I don't think I'll have time to assemble them until after I return from a month-long visit to the US. 

In case you missed it and are wondering how these letter-inspired designs came to be, my initial post is here. You'll probably notice that very few bear much resemblance to the letter their design is comprised of. In fact, the designs started to get a little too intricate & complex considering the 7x7-cm size. Some I feel are more successful than others, in terms of the composition & the colors, but I have learned from all of them—not to mention a lot more about working with Adobe Illustrator. I am continuing to explore the possibilities of the designs, and there have been nights lately when I could hardly sleep for the colors & patterns floating through my mind!

The photos show the printed strips for the other fifteen letters, with cutting & scoring marks and, in a few cases, some "overrun" of the designs (which will be trimmed). What you are seeing in each strip, from left is right, is: side 'A' of the sleeve / the top / side 'B' / the bottom / an additional "side" that will disappear when it's attached underneath side 'A'. I opted to extend/wrap the design around to the sides and/or bottom of the sleeve for many of them. (I've posted the same images you see here in an entry on my blog, along with a few additional notes on some of the letters.)

F / U / C


K / W / D

 

R / X / N


H / Q / Y


The sleeves for the letters that I've already posted over the last few monthsassembled & complete with their boxesare shown below. Top to bottom/left to right, they are:
T (i.e. the dark green one)
G / L /S
V / O / A / E
B / Z / M

 

 


So, that's it for the first/"free" alphabet. I will post a photo of the boxes together once they're all assembled. It's been wonderful seeing all of the creativity & incredible variety of everyone's alphabets so far this year, and I'm really looking forward to creating the "Place"-themed one.


3 comments:

  1. Inspiring idea - love the little boxes. I stay tuned. Have a nice week ahead, Inge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, stunning & awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in complete awe of this exploration and resolution Lisa - they are so stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - we appreciate hearing from you!