Saturday, January 31, 2015

I hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here but I wondered what the creators of these wonderful alphabets will do with their art, how they will be displayed, etc.  At the moment, mine are in their little boxes on a shelf.  I hope to bring the faux cat breed flash cards to the animal shelter where I volunteer and let people browse through them.

A flag book of Tamil English slang

 I finally got down to making the flag book of Tamil English slang.
The title of the book is Super Matter.
The 26 letters of the English alphabet have been created by stitching sequins onto a piece of card which has a piece of text in the Tamil script cut out at random from Tamil magazines.
On the reverse of the flag is the word in English and in Tamil.

There are more pictures on my blog.Click here.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Almost There

Apologies I did not get the 2nd alphabet finished last year, but here it is almost... I have all the letters completed but putting it together is proving a little slow and seems to be evolving as I keep running into difficulties,
I should have thought more about how I was going to construct the book for these padded fabric pieces before I started, I knew I did not want to make them into a patchwork type quilt but having put wadding into each piece they are fat and cumbersome to work with. I was undecided between making Cubes or a Flag Book, Regrettable I went for the Flag, I lay them down and sewed the letters back to back as they should appear in the book.

But they would not sit as a Flag book should, and I had no idea how I would reinforce the back fabric so it would have hills and valleys, So I undid it all.....but not each sewn square as I had trimmed the seams down to a minimum before I turned them right side out so if I started unpicking those I'd have to go right back to "A".  I had also trimmed too much to make cubes so I was left with trying to salvage the squares I had sewn.
 I have sewn a length of fabric to each square and it will be the spine of sorts. I'm hand sewing each square to each other. The fabric spine reminds me of folds for smocking so I might try that once I get it all together, With hindsight I see I would have had far more options if I had not put the wadding (quilting foam) into each square. It now reminds me of a child's bath book, and that's not what I had in mind when I started, 

So now I just want to get it all assembled and see if I can rescue it at the end with  some interesting finishing touches.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

sacramentaire - the end

and so ........ I'm late, but I have a very good reason : my stupid computer just doen't allow me anymore to post, I know it IS old but , well ... hopefully I'm in my office now with a brand new computer and here it is, my last ALAW book :

first page
ready to bind
Inside and outside

And now I want to thank all of you for your kind messages, and your wonderful work and Fiona for organizing this emulation. I've been so happy to be part of ALAW twice, and sure will regret it on 2015

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Burnt Letters - presentation

I decided to create a sort of swatch book with the Burnt Letters.

I stitched a bead between each letter on the upper left.

I kind of like the look of the pages swirled round like that. The burnt edges make their own pattern.